ASHEVILLE, N.C. – The Elon University males’s basketball group fell 92-77 to Harvard in the third-place sport on the Asheville Championship on Sunday, November 13 at Harrah’s Cherokee Center.
Sean Halloran and Torrence Watson took the group lead in the standings for the Phoenix (1-2) with 14 factors. Two newcomers, Max Mackinnon and Deandre Smart, joined them with 12 and 11 factors respectively in double digits. Harvard’s Evan Nelson had a game-high 23 factors for the Crimson (2-1) to lead 5 gamers by double digits.
• Elon went 13-9 forward after a first-half layup by Watson 15-05. Harvard went on a 16-5 run over the following greater than 5 minutes to take a 25-18 lead.
• Two free throws from Smart made it a five-point sport at 25-20 with 9:41 in the primary interval, however an 11-3 run from Crimson gave Harvard a 36-23 lead with a pair of free throws up the 7:01 mark.
• The Crimson took a 44-30 lead after a layup by Idan Tretout simply three minutes earlier than the break. A late 6-3 run by the Phoenix, sparked by 4 straight factors from Zac Ervin, helped the maroon and gold slim their deficit to 47-36 at halftime.
• Elon got here again from the dressing room and scored 5 fast factors simply over a minute into the second half to make it a six-point sport after a Watson three, 47-41. However, Harvard countered with an 11-3 run to regain the lead at 14, 58-44.
• A Watson three-pointer at 15:46 in the sport put the Phoenix at 11, 58-47, however that may get Elon so shut in the second half. Harvard would keep a double-digit lead for the remainder of the sport to earn the 92-77 win.
• Watson has scored in double figures for the second time in the Phoenix’s three video games this season as he leads Elon with 34 factors this yr (11.3 common).
• Halloran scored in double figures for the primary time in a Phoenix jersey. The Orlando, Fla. native was 5-of-11 and in addition had three assists.
• Mackinnon had his finest goal-scoring report to date in his rookie season, when he additionally scored 5 of 11 and put Halloran high of the group with three assists. He additionally performed the perfect 29 minutes of the season.
• Smart added his second double-digit objective of the younger season and led Phoenix with seven rebounds.
• Assisted by Mackinnon and Smart, Elon outscored Harvard’s bench 33-28.
• The Phoenix shot 25 of 56 from the sector and was 7 of 23 from the three-point line. Elon made the perfect 20 free throws of the season after hitting 20 of 29 from the charity strip.
Elon returns to the Schar Center for a matchup towards North Dakota on Thursday, November seventeenth. The tip for this sport is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. with streaming accessible on FloHoops.
— ELON —